Sunday, January 5, 2014

Project 52: Week 1: The Abstract Life

Abstract: "existing in thought or as an idea but not having a physical or concrete existence".
"The High Sorcerer"
© 2014 Christine M. Wallace

I once felt as though my life was just going thru the motions, and not having any real purpose.  I thought I was happy when I wasn't, then when I knew I wasn't happy, I tried to convince myself that things would get better.  It became a vicious cycle of battling for an inner peace that I craved so very much.  It wasn't until I was given a book "One Day At A Time" (or ODAT) that I really began to realize that my life is what I had made it.  Pure Chaos.  I realized that I needed to stop blaming this one for that and that one for this and start looking at myself, because, much to my own surprise, I was the only person I had control over.  Yes, I am a control freak, or rather, I use to be.  I now know that there is only person I have the true right to be a control freak with ... myself.

 
"Come to the dark side"
© 2014 Christine M. Wallace
 
"Fly Away Little Birdie"© 2014 Christine M. Wallace
I've run circles around myself and making my life this unimaginable place that seemed quite abstract, like I was stuck in a maze that I couldn't get out of.  Then I stopped. Looked around. Took a deep breath. And took action.  Action for myself.  I finally admitted that I was not happy, I admitted this to myself because let's face it, I'm the only one that really cares if that is truth or not anyways. Because at that point in time, the only person that mattered to me, was me.  Because if I was happy, my girls would be happy and life would be wonderful.

I then spent the next several months looking at life thru my lens.  Yes, my camera is where I found my inner peace.  I started to find a passion that I had buried so deep even I thought it was gone.  I started to look around and all I seen was art in everything.  I even started to see something in the most abstract of pieces.

"Eruption"
© 2014 Christine M. Wallace
This past week I was looking for some interesting projects that I could do in my studio, since it's winter and I live in Buffalo and you never know if one day to the next you'll be able to bear the cold weather and go outside looking around for a photo to take,  I came across this project that was supposed to turn out like a tye-dye type of design.  So I thought, hey, I have these tools ... let's give it a try.  Only, I didn't really get the tye-dye results.  Instead, with a little cropping and some other minor manipulations in an editing program, I  got some amazing abstract images.
"Implosion"
© 2014 Christine M. Wallace

 The images presented in this post are my results, and honestly, I never expected to get these results when I looked at the images on my viewfinder, but in each image, I see something very different.  I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome - and the fact that I was able to create an abstract photo, which look very much like a painting.

**Artist Note: The photo manipulations that were done, were simple curves, levels and/or desaturation changes, nothing else was altered in these images.**

The fact of the matter is, no matter how abstract you think your life may be, you can always find your purpose among the chaos, so long as you just take the time to look deep enough to see the truth that is being held within.

No comments:

Post a Comment